Tuesday, March 27, 2012

BBQ Carmelized Onion Cheddar Chicken

I'm always trying to find new and exciting ways to spice up chicken. Sometimes it just gets boring to put salt, pepper, and garlic on a chicken breast and bake it in the oven.

As I was driving home one night, I was trying to decide what I could do with chicken for dinner. Then it hit me! I could carmelize some red onion, and then stuff the chicken with that, bbq sauce and cheddar cheese! All of those flavours are pretty tasty together, so it's a great idea, right?

Wrong.

Well, the stuffing of the chicken breast makes it a bad idea. Not the flavour combination. That was still pretty great. But, uh, I apparently can't cut the chicken just enough to stuff it. Nope. I either cut the entire way through, or just cut off a hunk of chicken from the whole breast, because I so cannot cut evenly.

Instead, I just put a layer of bbq sauce, the onions, then the cheese on top of the chicken, and baked it that way. It turned out really well! Though I still think stuffing it would have been more fun.

Ready for a super simple recipe?

BBQ Carmelized Onion Cheddar Chicken

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a small frying pan, sautee red onions until they are nice and carmelized.

Place chicken onto a cookie sheet, and season with salt and pepper.

Squirt on some of your favourite BBQ sauce.

Put a layer of sauteed onions.

Top with cheese of your choice. I ended up using both cheddar and mozzarella, because that's what I had!

Bake for 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear.

I had this chicken with asparagus and broccoli. Yum!

Hooray for quick and easy dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment