Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Realistic Resolutions

Here's the thing. Resolutions for the New Year leave a lot to be desired. A lot of people make resolutions that are so grandiose, and then when said resolution fails, people are annoyed, and beat themselves up. Now, even in saying this, and knowing it to be true, I tend to do the same even though I know full well it probably won't happen. This year, I've decided to follow the masses, and make a couple of New Year's resolutions, but in a different way. I'm making resolutions that are doable, and won't leave me feeling like I've just left a sour taste in my mouth after an initial burst of flavour (AKA, starting and then not completing some unrealistic goal).

Welcome to my blog. This is my first official blog post, and what better way to start it, at the beginning of January no less, with a post about resolutions for 2012? Maybe it's a cliche, but I think it makes good headway into whatever else I decide to talk about. To be honest, I haven't fully decided what kind of blog this will be. It will probably include rants, recipes, and revelations. Maybe more, depending on the day. I'll try to post some amateur pictures where I see fit, but beware, they probably won't be anything stellar. I think this blog will end up blossoming as time goes on, into something that I can just call my own. Now back to the resolutions.

Resolution number one. Drink. More. Water. That's doable, isn't it? I mean, how hard can it be? Other than the fact that water is so boring, and I only like it when it is really cold. Preferably really cold with no ice cubes, as those just seem to get in the way. I've done it before, drinking 8 glasses of water a day, no questions asked. So, why can't I do it again? Plus, water is free, and has no calories. That's a bonus too. I think this one just has to be a conscious decision on my part. Doable, and realistic. Water has so many benefits for the body, except that it will be constantly filling my bladder, and I will need to empty it every 20 minutes. Though I think the pros outweigh the cons on this one.

Resolution number two. Be nicer to myself. Yes, everyone is their own worst critic, I know. But I think being critical of yourself is ok. What's not ok is being unkind. Being nicer to myself can come in many different forms. It could be anything from pushing away those nagging thoughts, to giving my skin some much needed moisture, by slathering on that wonderful smelling body butter. Resolution number one above can also fit into this category of being nicer to myself. Water makes my body happy. This resolution might take a little bit more effort than just drinking more water, but I think it is realistic and doable as well. Some gentle reminders may be needed throughout the year, but with that, I think I can be successful.

Those are my two resolutions. Two may seem like I am lacking in my resolution-making skills, as I know some people make 5-10 each year, but I think making 5-10 falls under the category of "unrealistic resolutions". For some people it may not be too many, but for me, two is enough. Or a good start anyway.

Now that the cheesy resolutions post is out of the way, maybe we can get into more interesting things in the next post. In the meantime, do you have any realistic resolutions for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment