Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf turned into Muffins

Banana-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na MUFFINS....sung to the tune of that Batman song....or something.

I like banana bread. But for some reason, I don't eat it as quickly as banana muffins. Ok, so maybe it's due to being slightly lazy because with the loaf, I have to actually cut it to have a piece, but with a muffin, I can just grab one and go. Convenient. Muffins are convenient.

I should have made these with whole wheat flour, because then they would have been healthier. I didn't think of that until afterwards though. Next time!

Do you know what is delicious with bananas? Chocolate. Duh. Bananas and chocolate, add some peanutbutter, and that's pretty much heaven. But I didn't add peanut butter either. Boy am I slacking.


I did add butterscotch chips too though! I wasn't sure how that would taste, so I only added them into a few of the muffins, but I'm sure glad I did, because they were delicious!

I was slightly concerned with how brown they ended up being on top, but they weren't burnt or anything, and not crunchy, so I think it was all good. The muffins needed half the time in the oven as the loaf does. Less surface area to cook, so it takes less time? Maybe something like that.


If anyone tries these with whole wheat flour, let me know how they are!

Banana Muffins:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients
3 mashed frozen bananas
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
Cream margarine and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, and beat until smooth. Stir in the mashed bananas.

Mix dry ingredients together, and add to the wet ingredients slowly blending as you go.

Fold in chocolate chips. And when I say fold, I don't mean beat them in with your hand mixer or your electric mixer. I mean, take a spatula out of the drawer, and fold them in gently.

Either line muffin tins with papers, or spray them with Pam to grease them so the muffins come out easily when they are finished. If you're making a loaf, then grease the loaf pan.

If you want to make each of the muffins the same size, use an icecream scoop, or a 1/3 cup measuring cup to plop the batter into the tins. You've probably guessed that I didn't do that. I guestimated (yeah, that's a word), and surprise surprise, the muffins weren't the same size. But,  uh, some days I might want a bigger muffin than others. Yeah...that's why I did it that way.


Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes, making sure you use a toothpick/knife to see if they are cooked. If you're making a loaf, bake it for 1 hour, checking the same way to make sure it is done. Don't worry if your muffins are a dark brown on top! Just make sure they don't burn. So if your oven runs hot, either turn the heat down 10 degrees, or cook for 20 minutes and check them before putting them in longer. Maybe wait until they are a little cooler to shove in your face though. They burn your mouth when they are still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment